Custody and Access
(“lives with” and “spends time with” arrangements)
Following separation, it is important that appropriate arrangements are put in place for your children, including:
- who the children live with;
- who the children spend time with, and for how long;
- travel arrangements, including interstate and overseas travel;
- the primary and high school that the children will attend;
- arrangements for special occasions such as Christmas, Easter and birthdays; and
- specific issues, such as medical treatment.
You and your former spouse may agree on arrangements for the children following advice from a solicitor, or attending mediation, counselling or Family Dispute Resolution.
You can ask the Court to recognise this agreement by filing an Application for Consent Orders.
In the event that no agreement is reached, you may wish to ask the Court to make Orders governing the arrangements for your children. However, before either party can file an application, they must first have obtained a Certificate from a Family Dispute Resolution Provider (unless a specific exemption applies).
Whether you need our help to prepare an Application for Consent Orders, or need us to represent you in Court, we are here to support you in seeking an outcome that is in the best interests of your children.